Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Small Piece of the Country and its Barns

A farm near Palatine Church


A Small Piece of the Country

I own a small piece of the country; 
It is hidden beneath this shirt, 
Out of eyesight, unable to seen, 
Not to be found, touched or heard.

It is winter in its somber white suit; 
It is fall in its vibrating colors; 
It is summer with its kiss of warm breezes;
It is spring and all that is new.

I own a small piece of the country; 
It is hidden from view, 
In remembered feelings and words, 
of all the friends I knew.

It is open like a window, 
Letting in the fresh country air; 
It is golden like the morning, 
When the sun warms me there.
It is dew upon the grass, In the morning fresh and new; 
It is the sky, the night of the full harvest moon.

I own a small piece of the country; 
It is hidden in my mind, 
Of the fine folk Who make up the country kind.

It is the farmer harrowing his field; 
It is the preacher holding together his small flock; 
It is the neighbor helping a neighbor; 
It is my friends and their warm hearts.

I own a small piece of the country; 
It is my own special part, 
I own a small piece of the country;
I keep it here within my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment